Tuesday, May 18, 2010

two types of people

I am sitting here listening to Joyce Meyers, she has a way of getting my attention. She mentions that there are two types of people in the world. Those that wait for things to happen and those who make things happen. I don't see myself as the type that waits for things to happen, I am the type that makes things happen. Although my willingness to make things happen for the most part can be a good thing I find that making things happen can also be my worse enemy. I tend to do things without praying, without thinking and without seeing what the results might be. The other day I was whining once again about how sucky life is, how I need changes made and then out loud to God I said, God your not going fast enough, I am going to have fix things myself..whoa
I am lucky I wasn't standing on a cliff, God might have just tossed me over!
I did catch myself saying that, and to God I am sorry, you don't always do what I want and I do get annoyed easily. That pretty much sums up why my eagerness to make things happen often result in the wrong choice and then facing the consequences of such.
So after my rant I prayed, I asked God to give me patience. Which brings me to my next point, how much of my life is the way it is because of my actions. How much could have been different had I waited for God to show me the right path. I know my childhood was abusive, dysfunctional and the kind people write books about, so I guess its easy to continue to create the same in my adult life. So how do we change the path, how do we make the future better without stepping on God's toes. Thats a hard challenge. Satan can easily use any opportunity in your life to deter you, to challenge you, to even make you think God is the one leading you. I do think when your at peace with a choice it's Gods way, its when your mind is going in six different directions is when your not going to make the right choice.
So I do believe I am the type that makes things happen, not the type that waits. I will pray more when I am making choices and give God a chance to give me an answer before I react. I will read God's words more and use them in my life. I will ask God for patience even if I don't feel like it, I will try to be nicer to people even if I don't feel like it. (that will be a hard one).

1 comment:

Sisters of the Blog said...

I think the hard part comes when you realize you have to get off the path you're on, but you don't know how to do that, and you've no idea where you're supposed to go. There's also a great deal of inertia one must fight against, and of course all the family or friends who decide that they don't want you to change because--and here the reasons can be many, so i'll just name a few--they might have to change their relationship with you, or you might cause them to take a look at themselves to see what needs to be changed and they don't want to. Too much work.

There can also be a lot of fear along with the inertia, so it takes a lot of gumption--something you and i seem to have in spades. The trick is learning to use it to our advantage rather than detriment.

I've had to see time and again how my own decisions have brought me to certain places.

A good place for me to start was to set boundaries. Not only for myself, but for others. It was hard to gauge what was truly healthy because like you, i saw many bad examples, so felt inclined to be just as extreme, only the other way. Where was the happy medium?

I'm closer to the happy medium now that i've ever been, and as has often been said, i can do anything i want, i just can't do everything i want at the same time.

When i'm in a muddle, it's best for me to stay still if possible, let the noise get out of my head and wait for that still, small voice. Do i always do that? Nope, and sometimes i wonder if i've ever done that. If i can't seem to do that, i resort to Plan B, where i look at little projects i can do. No, it doesn't help the Huge Thing that looms before me, BUT in moments of despair, i can look at the small project and smile because i was able to do SOMETHING positive.

megan