Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Choosing the Best

Read Luke 10:38-42

Seek first [God's] kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
-Matthew 6:33 (NIV)

RECENTLY while I was weeding my garden, I saw half a dozen sturdy yellow sprouts that didn't look like any of the vegetables I had planted. After investigating, I realized that they were pumpkin plants, growing from seeds that had been in the compost I added to the soil. At first I was excited; pumpkins are delicious! I quickly remembered, though, that pumpkins are plants that could easily take over my small garden, leaving no room for anything else.

Every day since then, I've found more pumpkin seedlings -- sometimes as many as 30 in one day! I'm allowing one plant to grow, but the others I diligently remove.

Like my garden, I have limited space; I also have limited time. If I'm not careful, even good things -- like the pumpkin plants in my garden -- can easily take too much of my life, leaving no room for better things. Work is good, but it's not always the best choice. Tending relationships with friends is good, but spending time with friends is not always the best use of time. To have a balanced life, I need to check my heart as I check my garden to make sure that good activities are not crowding out the best in my life.

Amy Peterson (Arkansas, USA)

Dear God, help us to cultivate our hearts and lives wisely, giving space and time to what is most important. Teach us to seek your kingdom and righteousness above all else. Amen.
Chart how you've spent your time in the last week. What priorities does your chart reveal?

3 comments:

Sharon said...

LOVE this chart. I need to start organizing my time better..too much time is spent on things that don't really matter. I think I'll copy your time chart and hang it somewhere that I'll see it daily! Thanks for the reminder!!

Becky R said...

I think we should all get rid of our tv's and then we will have plenty of time

Jeannette said...

I will get rid of my tv when He double toothpicks freezes over