Friday, August 12, 2011

Meal planning and eating healthy

My goal this week, was to feed us for under $12.00 per day for all meals, Us includes myself, my husband and sending leftovers up to other family members. In order to provide my menu and how I managed this, I have to do a bit of rewind, the first week of August my husband went to our butcher and bought a 24 lb box of assorted meats. This cost $100.00, it is around this box of meat that I planned what we would eat. What I did, is for each type of meat I wrote down as many different meals that I could think of. Example: Chicken breasts: breaded, on sandwiches, in salads, Parmed etc;, I did the same for london broil, ground beef and pork.
Each meal would hopefully provide another nights meal either in a different capacity or as it was. I also planned a lunch or two. (of course all laid out plans can and will go up in smoke at a moments notice)

This week went like this:
Monday: Breaded boneless chicken, rice, sauted spinach and garlic, watermelon and blueberries
Tuesday: Breaded Fish, leftover rice and sliced cucumbers
Now Tuesday was suppose to be Spaghetti and meatballs but due to my uncontroled schedule that did not happen
Wednesday we used leftover breaded chicken to make sandwiches on hardrolls with lettuce, tomato and melted cheese. homemade pickles, chips and cut up peaches were the sides
Thursday: well as I said all laid out plans go up in smoke, the Fireman's fair started, my husband had to be there at 6 and he eats there, so my dinner was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, glass of milk and a peach,, it tasted like heaven!

Tonight we will eat at fair, The meatballs which are cooked will go in freezer as I don't see the sauce getting prepared now until Sunday, that will be the beginning of next weeks meals

My total for the food needed for this week and some of this food and staples will be used for other meals was $87.42 now this is not the $12.00 I planned but its not that far off either I was only .48 cents over. My goal is to cut our costs, eat 3 healthy meals, and I think this has been accomplished.


3 comments:

Becky R said...

Great job. Where is your snacking budget? I know you love your snacks. lol.

We have about $300.00 a month to spend on food. This breaks down to $10.00 a day or
Breakfast $2.00
Lunch $3.00
Dinner $4.00
Snacks $1.00

This is for one adult and two boys.
Don't know how but every month we eat. God provides (I know He uses you to help at times.)

Jeannette said...

well, for whatever reason my mom bought me a bag of chocolate candy, this has been my snack, and Scott made popcorn

Sharon said...

Sounds like a great job to me! I could live on chocolate...and popcorn is the salty other snack!